Tuesday, November 20, 2007

Big Love for Soccer

(I'm sorry, Utahans, but I'm sure you're used to the Mormon jokes by now.)

Struck Creative out of Salt Lake City is responsible for defacing public property with their very creative hang tags on clothes by Calle, a brand doing what they can to make street soccer popular here in these States United. The idea is to affix the sticker to a crosswalk sign, thus declaring your love for street soccer while befuddling city officials, who are sure a terrorist group is planning something huge.

Calle ("street" in Spanish) has been played as long as there have been streets and balls. As promoted by Calle, the company, it combines elements of freestyle Frisbee® and Hacky Sack and has its own lexicon of hipness not unlike that of the skateboarding and snowboarding subcultures. My guess is it's probably pretty popular among stoners as well. And of course you can't just wear any old clothing to play calle; you should be decked out in shorts, Ts and hoodies with the Calle logo, which was originally the Partridge Family logo.











The founders of Calle tell their story here. I get the feeling they are leaving out the part that explains why they were in those foreign countries to begin with.

Pretty clever idea. Fairly unobtrusive guerrilla effort. But it's still against the law. And that's a sin.

Via 2wenty-Four

DISCLAIMER: Please, people. It's all in fun. I don't need the Army of Moroni here to tell me how insensitive I'm being. I'm just doing what I can to promote street soccer and Calle. I also recognize that a partridge is different from a pigeon. And that Mormons aren't polygamists anymore. And that HBO should be sued for reawakening that stigma in the minds of Americans. And that Mitt Romney stands just as good a chance as anyone else to become President. The Mormons also helped me trace my roots through their genealogy site. I say make some money, young Mormon entrepreneurs. Good on you.

Labels: , , , , ,

Bookmark and Share

1 Comments:

  • calle guys were in foreign countries because they are mormons and they had to do their two year thing and each one of the picked a different country...when they came back they teamed up to do calle

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at September 10, 2008 at 5:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home